WHO Should Apply
Change Up: Innovating for Social Change is a live-audience pitch competition open to all individuals and organizations making social impact in the Okanagan Valley.
- Individuals or organizations must be classified as either a For-Profit, Established Non-Profit and / or Registered Charity, Early Stage Grassroots, or Student Led Initiative;
- Individuals or organization must be able to demonstrate the measurable, sustainable, and innovative qualities of their idea or business model and their actions;
- Individuals or organizations must be operating within the Okanagan Valley;
- Student based entries can be more idea based but need to demonstrate action taken to make our community stronger;
- If you have previously pitched at ChangeUP 2015, we welcome your application, however you will need to demonstrate that something significant has changed within your organization and/or that you are operating from a different mandate or in a new venture.
Your application will be evaluated by a panel of judges. A small number of applicants will be invited to pitch on the main stage, November 2nd.
Social Impact: It’s all about being effective agents of positive social change. We need to be able to measure your social impact and understand how your actions are affecting the Okanagan community. Whether you’ve proven yourself on a small scale or have engaged thousands of people, we need to see how you measure and track your positive changes.
Sustainability: To be truly effective, you must plan to exist and grow well into the future. Tell us how you are financing your operations now and how you plan to do so in the future. Demonstrate how your partnerships and support networks will help you scale your operations. Success means that you are moving towards sustainability vs. relying entirely on donations and grants.
Innovation: The application of a new solution to an old problem is innovation. Maybe you haven’t reinvented the wheel, but have identified different approaches to strengthen the Okanagan and the challenges that exist. We like dreamers, but we also like do-ers and are especially fond of entries with the potential for large-scale replication to make a huge impact.
Collaboration: We really like to see effort going into something that increases impact, not overhead, particularly administrative overhead. When you can leverage other services and not recreate the wheel, we know you are focused on maximizing the service to your stakeholders.
In addition to this evaluation criteria, the judges will also look at your dynamic founders and/or additional team members.
*At the event, your pitch will be voted on by audience members via a real-time voting format. Audience members will have an opportunity to vote with their mobile devices.
- Complete the on-line application by September 30, 2017, 11:59 p.m. PDT.
- Your application will be reviewed by a team of community-minded evaluators.
- The top applicants will be notified by Wednesday, October 18 and asked to pitch to a live audience on November 2nd.
- The selected pitchers must attend a pitch workshop the last week of October.
Accepted pitchers will be required to bring all presentation material to the main event November 2, 2017.
WHY You Should Apply
Individuals and organizations applying to compete in the 2017 ChangeUP 3 pitch event have the opportunity to:
- Win cash and service-in-kind prizes to help you grow your organization and engage volunteers;
- Broaden the awareness and public support for your idea or organization;
- Connect with provincial and global networks through Okanagan Changemaker partnerships to help you scale;
- Gain valuable feedback and constructive direction through pitch prep workshops by expert mentors.